Friday, May 14, 2010

The yew shrub near my garage is starting to turn yellow and lose needles.?

I don't think the ground is too wet. In the past when I had a problem with yews (at other houses) it turned out to be some kind of insect. I don't see any spider webs on it so I think a spider mite is not the problem. I used to spray it with something but can't remember what it was. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

The yew shrub near my garage is starting to turn yellow and lose needles.?
It could be the concrete around it. It can suck all of the acidity out of your soil. All evergreen shrubs prefer acidic soil, so try treating it with a fertlizer with a high 1st number (12-6-6). You could also buy some aluminum sulfate granulars and sprinkle some around your yew every other month.





If you recently planted your yew and you are certain that the yellowing leaves aren't due to overwatering, you might just want to check the depth at which it was planted. If it was buried just slightly too deep, you could be drowning it even with normal amounts of water. If that is the case, then dig it up and replant at a shallower depth. I have seen things bounce back within 7-10 days when just dug up an inch or so. It may be that the one spot beside your garage holds more water than normal. Just check it out. Good Luck!
Reply:give it a good dose of all purpose fertilizer with minors and water when it gets dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment